Saturday 9 November 2013

SYW Ruskies Corp of Observation

Work progresses on the Grenadiers du France at a less than satisfactory pace, repaints seem to take so much longer than splashing paint on virgin figures or maybe the grey matter, instead of resetting to zero, starts off where the the clock stopped with the original paint job.

Be that as it may I allowed myself to be distracted with some Russian observation corp grenadiers to break up the monotony. Although not completely finished I post him with regard to checking my swatches (so to speak), so do the colour tones gel or not?



The coat is probably a little dark for the table top, the green has enough saturation but is too dark for play (I stand by the golden rule of "bringing up" the brightness for the toys) despite the fact that this may be the correct green. I'm happy with the red for the most part.



The tombac (metal used for mitre plate and pouches, not brass) didn't quite get there but it is an unusual colour (not quite brass not quite copper) and can be quite varied in it's hue due to the metal ratio's used in the alloy.  Many many years ago I remember reading that the colour/metal of the mitre plate was mistaken for copper, anyway there are a couple of samples below for your perusal

Anyway it was good to break from the drudgery of repainting, thoughts on the overall colour scheme dear readers?


Tombac medallion from Israel
Tombac emergency 5c

thanks for looking
dave

8 comments:

  1. looking good I do love the Front Rank sculpts too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James, hope blog-con is going well? I suspect it will be a very successful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Russian looks great - are you asking about the mitre plate finish? Maybe be give it a wash of reddish stain/ink if you want a more copper finish. Looks good as it though. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous stuff and very informative! I have a unit of lovely FR Russians sitting on my paint desk right now and was wondering about the metal on their mitres. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Phil.

    I was thinking along those lines Dean, flesh wash was what I was thinking although I know mithrill silver doesn't have any dye or pigment in it and can be tinted with a bit of paint very successfully.

    Thanks Mike, dont forget the buttons and sword accoutrement is actually copper, good luck with your boys.

    ReplyDelete

Good, bad or otherwise I love to hear what you think..... mostly