I'm pretty happy with how the base has turned out and I think I'll keep using the torn pieces of lush field/grazing railroad scenery mat for the second base (I have acquired some tufts to replace those in storage). So what is new, well I have some tree flock which also comes in a mat type format which is very low and it seems to work quite well for ground cover and I added a few lighter coloured tufts for variation. These new tufts break up the deep green grazing mat without conflicting in a seasonal sense.
Just as an aside I'm happy with the paint job on the javelins, very quick and on the table top they look quite good even if i do say so myself. I hate painting wood grain effects because I usually stuff it up and it ends up looking like a laminate bench top from the 50's, so all in all I'm well chuffed about cracking my little hoodoo.
I have also started work on some more conversions for my Saxons, a little more daring this time, besides adding a few items of clothing we're now removing and repositioning arms and heads! There might be some weaponry in the mix as well (not just javelins and spears) although I have plenty of plastic and metal spares I though I might play about with swords axes and saex.
|The best tool for cutting off limbs etc., makes a very fine cut|
|Some of my must have tools for conversion work|
|The cloak is being built up in stages so.....|
|.....it looks a little weird right now|
|Head is just a fraction too large|
There are two figures where I'm repositioning the arms, the first is armed with an long axe and I want the arms in a logical position for weilding an axe of that size instead of looking like he is chopping wood. I'm not critical of the figure and it may well be the hands are positioned to allow the figures to be molded in one piece. It became apparent straight away that changing the angle of the shoulders will mean taking off the shield as it will be at the wrong angle to the body but as the figure will also be getting a cloak I should be able to get away with burrying most of the shield under the greenstuff, I'll still have to remove the bulk of it though.
|Comparison between the original and the conversion, it takes a time....|
|....to bend the wire so the length of the upper and lower arm are right|
|The spacing of the hands seems about right|
|I will have to redo the chain mail|
|Most of the shield has to come off|
The last figure, for now, is the ubiquitous hand on hip chap, with this figure I have taken the left arm and cut it away from the body moved it out and forwards slightly then glued a sword into the hand to which I will add a bit of green stuff, the hand didn't need to be complete in the original position so it is missing some length and fingers. I'm going to make this chap a dual wielder so I have removed the right arm at the elbow and I will put in a wire armature for the lower arm and have it holding a short axe. This figure is also looking up slightly so I have removed a wedge of metal from the front of the neck so I can tilt the head forwards lowering his eyes line, this makes the figure appear to be sizing up the immediate surroundings
|Another comparison between the original and the conversion|
|Shoulders have been ground down for the cloak to be added|
|Will have to add some putty to the hand|
Thanks for looking