Friday 13 August 2010

Women and painting = latest work in progress

Hmmmmm,


Not quite what you had in mind, don't worry me either.
What started out as "I might do some painting" ended up being "you will be painting the bedroom"

Which then became, "the spare room will need to painted first" because "we will need to move our old bedroom furniture in there while you paint the bedroom"


Hang on a minute! What do you mean "old" bedroom furniture? Apparently newly painted bedrooms must have newly acquired bedroom furniture, stands to reason     ..........huh?

So let me get this straight.

Finish painting a seven years war battalion = paint bedroom + paint spare room x new bedroom furniture but only when newly painted bedroom = new bedroom furniture.



The joy of it is that the house is of very old hard wood (bloody hard) construction, the timber has had 87 years of shrinkage so all the joints in the walls and ceilings have to be raked and filled, nails are virtually impossible to pull out and if you can get one out in one piece you have to wait 10 minutes before it is cool enough to pick up, oh what joy!

Figure painting postings will be sporadic if at all for a couple of weeks, annoyance levels will be high, blood pressure will be critical (she who must be restrained is threatening to helping me, good grief).

I have been toying with the idea of black undercoating one of the door frames and giving it the three tone Dallimore/Foundry special for a laugh while she's not about *sigh*.

It's enough to make me take up warhammer and have a game with the spotty, volume 11, teenagers down the GW shop ...........or put my head in a toaster oven.

7 comments:

  1. I have a similar situation with my backyard. I retaining wall turned into two wall, with planter boxes, steps, paving and a couple garden beds. Been working on it for almost a year now.

    Then there's the front yard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These wives, they are very crafty at times. I've learned that that the true cost of new acquisitions such as furniture or house additions is measured in terms of the length of my retirement sailboat - right now I may be at a net negative length. Oh well, I do like working!

    If ever your wife says "do you think this room is getting smaller?" don't answer, don't make eye contact and run like hell....

    Enjoy your painting, I'm sure working together on the project will only bring you closer

    :)

    Miles

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Timbo she broke my back and my spirit with her love of terracing at christmas...... wall after wall after wall... all that's missing are the rice paddies.

    Mr Miles ......our working together....hmmm, let me put it this way I'm sure like me you remember the line
    "one of these days Alice one of these days"
    or maybe
    "LOOOOOOOOSIEEEEEE" (did you pick my Cuban accent?)

    Thankfully I already have a boat, my lovely lil dingy, its too small for her to cut anything off of it.
    I think I might just go out into the shed and sit in it when it gets dark.

    regards
    pp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, at least you have a sense of humor...it would take a lot longer if you didnt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day cap'n will get back to you about that flag, been a bit busy as you see. I'm thinking Chikamagua and the 10th Tennessee, Irish to be sure.
    Another has come up and I'll be jiggered with a wotsit if'n I can remember which it was right now.

    LOL skelegg'n.

    regards
    pp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave:

    I have the same thing going on here - I have to paint the exterior trim and also a top portion of the 2nd floor exterior. I've talked the wife into waiting until tomorrow - today I will playtest a WH Napoleonics game with my buddy. Regards and be safe, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. update

    Old oil based paint has now seen off 15 sheets of 120 grit sandpaper, starting fifth cartridge of gap sealer ceiling and one wall nearly prepped, cauking gun looking shakey may not last the job.

    Buried 19 termites that appear to have launched a quickly aborted attack around 1972 but had to give up the challenge of chewing through this timber and one newspaper circa 1948 discovered under carpet

    grrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete

Good, bad or otherwise I love to hear what you think..... mostly